Daily Announcements

President’s Email 9/25/18

Dear KCHS Community,

Greetings from Catholic High! Let me begin by thanking our parents for the great turnout last Thursday for our KCHS Open House.  Teachers commented on how much they enjoyed getting to see so many of their students’ parents. Even though I am more familiar with our teachers than most parents, it was impressive to get to go through Sam’s schedule and hear from his teachers. We do feel very blessed to be here and it is my hope that many of you feel the same way about Catholic High.

With that said, I did take a few moments on Thursday to talk to our parents about some of the realities of Catholic High as it relates to finances and tuition. Currently there are 9 Catholic High Schools in the state of Tennessee and the average tuition cost for 1 Catholic student is $15,000 (this is approximately $5,400 more than Catholic High which is currently at $9,600). In fact, KCHS is the least expensive school in terms of tuition in the state, and I am very proud of the fact that KCHS has made a conscious effort to keep tuition increases at a minimum to make Catholic High an option for as many families as possible. And, KCHS has consistently been one of only two Catholic schools in the state that has been repeatedly recognized as among the Top 5% of schools in the country based on our academic profile and Catholic identity.

Keeping tuition costs down does present its challenges. Paying teachers competitive wages while also offering the full gamut of extracurricular and co-curricular programs is growing increasingly more difficult.  The gap between what tuition brings in and what it cost to educate our students is widening. Currently, the calculated cost of educating a student at Catholic High is approximately $11,500 – a shortfall of nearly $2,000 per student from tuition income generated.

Now, I do not tell you all of this to say that we are getting ready for a huge increase in tuition or that unless something changes, we are heading for trouble. Actually, I want to thank our community for the tremendous support that we do enjoy from our parents, our alumni, and the community at large. I do, however, want to ask each of you to prayerfully consider how you might best support Catholic High. The annual fund is the best avenue for most schools and is the foundation for bridging the gap between tuition income and cost of education. These unrestricted dollars can be used for the areas of greatest need.

With that said, in early October, our community will receive an appeal for the annual fund. I humbly ask you for your prayers and for your consideration of a gift to this cause. Thank you again for your support and consideration.

College Fair Wrap-Up – College Fair 2018 was a great success. Please see the link below for a video from our school counselors of the day. We had about 80 colleges and universities present and the feedback from our new format was positive. Special thanks to Fr. Bob from John XXIII at UT and to Mr. Rodgers, Ms. Williamson, and recent grad Margaret McCarty for sharing their discernment stories with our students. Trusting in God’s plan for our lives was the key message intended for our students, so I hope we accomplished that goal. https://youtu.be/5ZWOEyFE5Kk

Paying for College Night – is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, September 26, at 6 p.m. for 9th-11th grade parents, and 6:30 p.m. in the Mankel Media Center (Library) for parents of seniors.

Tuition Assistance for 2019-2020 – The Knoxville Regional Catholic Schools Operating Fund is gearing up for the 2019-2020 tuition support application process. The application process for Catholic families will be open and available online beginning Monday, October 1, 2018, with an ending deadline of Friday, November 30, 2018.  Please access the link below for more information http://www.knoxvillecatholic.com/admissions/apply/

The KRCSOF requests every Catholic family who has applied in the past, as well as any new Catholic families who would like to apply for tuition support, submit their applications during this 2-month period.  October 1st will be here before you know it so please begin to get your information together, so you can complete your application by the first-round deadline of November 30, 2018.  Contact: lcrawford@dioknox.org or mzevallos@dioknox.org (Spanish)

Beginning this year, we will have a process for Non-Catholic families to apply for tuition support and that period of application will begin on November 1, 2018.  More information on that will be available in the coming weeks.

Lock Down Drill – you might hear today that shortly after lunch, we conducted a lock down drill to check our readiness if an actual lock down was needed. Our teachers knew ahead of time that we were doing a drill today, they just didn’t know exactly what time. By all accounts, the drill was a success and the new door harnesses were engaged a huge upgrade to our classrooms. Thanks to the Class of 2018 for donating those to the school.

LMU Scholar of the Week – Congrats to KCHS junior, Callie Grace Tucker, who was recently named as the LMU Scholar of the Week on WBIR.  Please see the link below.  Way to go Callie! https://tegna-corporate.box.com/s/p6oln01m9oauhq1sfada157d9u8a2loo

The week in Sports:

Girls Soccer:

•      Tuesday, Sept 25th – Home vs. West HS Varsity 5pm JV 7pm Varsity
  •      Thursday, Sept 27th – Home vs. Central HS 6pm Varsity only (Senior Night)
  •      Friday and Saturday, Sept 28th and 29th – Shamrock JV Invitl at Sansom Complex

Volleyball:

•      Tuesday, Sept 25th – Home vs. Maryville 5pm JV, and 6pm Varsity
  •      Thursday, Sept 27th – Home vs. Seymour 5:30pm JV and 6:30pm Varsity (Senior Night)

Golf: Good luck to sophomore Kennedy Noe as she competes in the TSSAA State Championship Golf Tournament today and tomorrow.

Cross Country:

•      No meet this week

Football: Friday, Sept 28 – at Rhea County HS 7:30pm

Other Dates of Interest:

• Friday, Sep 28 – Diocesan In-service – NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
  • Tuesday, Oct 2 – Band Concert, 6:30 p.m. in commons
  • Friday, Oct 5 – First Friday Adoration in Holy Trinity
  • Friday, Oct 5 – End of 1st Quarter
  • Oct 8-12: FALL BREAK

Hope you have a great week!

God bless and Go Irish!

Dickie Sompayrac

Morning Prayer & Announcements 9/25/18

Morning Prayer

In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you all my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of Thy Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins and for all the intentions of our Holy Father for this month.

Announcements

• Birthday wishes go out to: Alonso Vela, Madison Grover, Katie Holt, Gracie Sewell
  • Please check out the “Lost & Found” items on a table in the Commons area today.  There are many items including clothing, shoes, water bottles, lunch boxes and several other items left from Spirit Week.
  • A traditional Latin Mass will be celebrated in Holy Trinity Chapel this Wednesday, September 26 at 8 AM for the Feast of the North American Martyrs.
  • The lady Irish JV volleyball team did it! Last night they won the district championship without dropping a set. It was a hard fought and very close battle but your lady Irish are the district champions! Congratulations to all the players and coaches.
  • The University of Chicago will be on campus Wednesday, September 26, for a private college visit.  College visits are open to all grades.  If you are interested in learning more about UC, sign up on Naviance or in the Nancy Swain Watters Guidance Suite.
  • Irish dodgeball will be distributing club shirts for $15 this week at lunch to those who wrote their names down on the initial sign up sheet
  • Mock Trial will have their first meeting in B100 starting during the first half of lunch on Tuesday, September 25. Grab you lunch and let’s get started! Contact Haley Cionfolo if you have questions.
  • The Breakfast Club will meet on Tuesday during the first half of lunch in B102. All are welcome.
  • Art Club will meet Wednesday during the second half of lunch in the art room.
  • Join us for Nacho Average Spanish Club meeting this Thursday at noon in B106.  We will have food and games.
  • Prospective KCHS divers: There will be an interest meeting for the 2018/19 diving season hosted by Tennessee Aquatics Diving at 6:30 pm on Thursday September 27th at Allan Jones Aquatic Center on the UT campus. All interested divers should please attend.

Morning Prayer & Announcements 9/24/18

Morning Prayer

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you all my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of Thy Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins and for all the intentions of our Holy Father for this month.

Announcements

• Lynn University will be on campus Tuesday, September 25, for a private college visit.  College visits are open to all grades.  If you are interested in learning more about Lynn University, sign up on Naviance or in the Nancy Swain Watters Guidance Suite.
  • The JV volleyball team had a tournament on Saturday at Alcoa high school. They had a fantastic weekend making the gold bracket out of pool play and finishing tied for fifth overall. They play again tonight at Knoxville Catholic high school in the district tournament at 6 o’clock and 7 o’clock. Come out and root them on to win a district championship!
  • The Irish cross country teams raced well at the Bristol Cross Invitational. The guys team finished first, with Jake Renfree leading the way as individual champion. The girls team also ran well behind Eleanor Mancini’s second place finish. Great job Irish cross country!
  • A traditional Latin Mass will be celebrated in Holy Trinity Chapel this Wednesday, September 26 at 8 AM for the Feast of the North American Martyrs.
  • The Irish Disciples Men’s Group will meet today in B202 at 11:50 AM. You are welcome to bring your lunch.”
  • The Breakfast Club will meet on Tuesday during the first half of lunch in B102. All are welcome.
  • Mock Trial will have their first meeting in B100 starting during the first half of lunch on Tuesday, September 25. Grab you lunch and let’s get started! Contact Haley Cionfolo if you have questions.
  • Prospective KCHS divers: There will be an interest meeting for the 2018/19 diving season hosted by Tennessee Aquatics Diving at 6:30 pm on Thursday September 27th at Allan Jones Aquatic Center on the UT campus. All interested divers should please attend.

Morning Prayer & Announcements 9/21/18

Morning Prayer

Today we celebrate the Feast of Saint Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist

Saint Matthew, pray for us.

Announcements

• Birthday wishes go out to: Ben Kozemko, Anna Bunstine
  • Weekend Birthday wishes go out to: Cameron Beldyk, Michael Ray, Connor Cress, Lila Davenport, Andrew Moyer
  • The Lady Irish Volleyball Teams travelled to Carter last night where the JV and Varsity both won in straight sets. We have our last 2 Home matches next week on Tuesday against Maryville the Thursday night is Senior night. Everyone come out and let’s end the regular season by treating our opponents to a great crowd.
  • Dominating win by the Lady Irish soccer team last night against Carter beating them 9 to 0 in a mercy win. Big game by Annalise Weedman with 4 goals and 2 assists, Anna Hoang with 2 goals and an assist, plus goals by Emma Kochanowski, Olivia Ricche, and Zoe Velas. Other assists were by Ceci Pumariega with 3, Kelsey Miller with 2, and Cailey Janoyan. Next up for the Lady Irish is a home game next Tuesday against West HS. Please listen to the following meetings today:
  • Attention Spanish Honor Society members: There will be a brief meeting in B103 at 12:15 TODAY to elect this year’s officers.
  • Attention students interested in Robotics: There will be a meeting in Mr. Parris’ room, C14, during lunch this Friday.  Please grab your lunch and join us for this important meeting.
  • Card Club will meet today during lunch in B203.
  • Today, there will be a cornhole club meeting in room B205 at 12:15. In order to be a member of the cornhole club, you must attend this meeting, or contact one of the presidents to let them know you would like to be part of the club.
  • The a capella club will be meeting at 12:10 in room c12.

Morning Prayer & Announcements 9/20/18

Morning Prayer

Today we celebrate the Memorial of Saints Andrew Kim Tae-gon, Priest, Paul Chong Ha-sang, and Companions, Martyrs

In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Announcements

• Birthday wishes go out to: Mr. Hollander, Frances James
  • Case Western Reserve University will be on campus Friday, September 21, for a private college visit.  College visits are open to all grades.  If you are interested in learning more about Case Western, sign up on Naviance or in the Nancy Swain
  • Best of luck to the Lady Irish soccer team as they take on Carter in a district match tonight.  Come out and support! Go Lady Irish!
  • The Power of Prayer Club will meet today in Holy Trinity Chapel during the first half of lunch today. All who wish to offer intercession and praise to God are welcome.
  • A traditional Latin Mass will be celebrated in Holy Trinity Chapel next Wednesday, September 26 at 8 AM for the feast of the North American Martyrs.
  • Please listen to the following meetings for today: 
  • Attention students interested in Robotics: there will be a meeting in Mr. Parris’ room, C14, during lunch this Friday.  Please grab your lunch and join us for this important meeting.
  • Irish Thon will have their second meeting TODAY at 12:15 during lunch in B103. Come for important updates and announcements. ALL are welcome even if you missed the first meeting!
  • Reminding all new transfer students grades 10-12 that we will be having a chick fil a lunch in room A14 during the first part of lunch today. Please join us!

Morning Prayer & Announcements 9/19/18

Morning Prayer

In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Announcements

• Birthday wishes go out to: Mrs. Phillips, Nikita Gray
  • Today is Freshman Seminar day.  All Freshman should report to the gym immediately after E block.  Do not go to your usual Freshman Seminar classrooms.  We will meet as a grade in the gym instead of in our individual groups.  A HUGE thank you to our Guidance Department for leading this week’s Freshman Seminar session. Students who are not in freshman seminar meeting, if you normally eat in the gym, please use the fine arts wing and A wing to eat if needed; not the “C” wing.
  • Congratulations to both the boys and girls golf teams for a great season. Both teams came up a little short in the region tournament but had a great finish at third place. Michael Ray battled in a three-hole playoff to miss state by one stroke. A big congrats to Kennedy Noe for making it to state individually with a qualifying score of 78. Thanks for a great year, go Irish!
  • Please listen to the following meetings today:
  • The Literary Magazine Committee is meeting today, Wednesday, during the second half of lunch in room C18, bring your lunch!
  • Join us today for our second Scooby Doo Meeting in C19 during lunch. Bring your food and join us for some movies and games!
  • Interested in attending the March for Life this year? Please attend a mandatory interest meeting on Wednesday during the second half of lunch. We will start promptly at 12:15 in B105.
  • Please listen to the following for meetings in the next couple of days: 
  • The Irish Thon meeting for today has been moved to tomorrow, Thursday, September 20th, in Mrs. Slough’s room at 12:15 during lunch. ALL are welcome even if you missed the first meeting!
  • Please listen to the following for meetings in the next couple of days:
    The Irish Thon meeting for today has been moved to tomorrow, Thursday, September 20th, in Mrs. Slough’s room at 12:15 during lunch. ALL are welcome even if you missed the first meeting!

President’s Email- 9/18/18

Dear KCHS Community,

Well, we survived Spirit Week 2018. Actually, we did more than survive if I’m being honest – we had a great time! Kudos to our students for an awesome week of involvement, participation and yes, spirit. And to our faculty for creating an environment that allows for participation yet also still manages to accomplish some academic stuff too. 🙂  Congratulations to our Juniors for winning the overall Spirit Week competition. The canned drive for the Ladies of Charity was a huge success and the dollars raised will go to help the neediest of folks in our community.

Redesigned College Fair Event: We are excited to share an intentional change we have made to the design of our College Fair event, coming up on Monday, September 24th.  As our KCHS mission statement notes, we aim to prepare students to be Disciples of Christ who influence a constantly changing world.  One way that we do that at KCHS is with low school counselor-to- student ratios, which allow us to plan with each of our students at the individual level, for life after KCHS.  However, we want to do more!  To reinforce our belief that the work we do is supporting God’s life plan for our students, we have redesigned our entire College Fair event to bring the “discernment process” right alongside the “finding a college process”.  This year, the Juniors/Seniors and the Freshmen/Sophomores will go through two 30 minute sessions: one session will be the College Fair event (featuring over 80 colleges from across the country – see attached flyer) and the other session will be a “Faith Focused” talk, encouraging our students to consider what God is calling them for in life and to utilize faith as an integral part of this process.

Open House Reminder – This Thursday, September 20, 6:00-6:30 – Parents can sign up for IPN Committees, 6:30 – parents gather in the gym, 6:45 – Parents go through their child(s) schedule. Please remember to bring a copy of your student’s schedule to save time.

Paying For College Night – will be next Wednesday, September 26, at 6 pm in the gym for 9th-11th grade parents and 6:30 in the library for seniors.

1st Annual Campus Ministry Trivia Night – to support our Campus Ministry program is Friday, October 19, in the KCHS Gym.  Tickets are $40 each or $300 for a table of 8. Dinner and drinks are provided (wine and beer) and all of the proceeds will go to support the March for Life and other student retreat programs.  Please sign up through the link below:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/kchs-campus-ministry-trivia-night-tickets-49559047445

KCHS Campus Ministry Trivia Night Tickets, Fri, Oct 19 …

www.eventbrite.com

Eventbrite – Danielle Sanok and Father Manning presents KCHS Campus Ministry Trivia Night – Friday, October 19, 2018 at Knoxville Catholic High School, Knoxville, TN. Find event and ticket information.

**TUITION SUPPORT FOR CATHOLIC FAMILIES FOR THE 2019/20 SCHOOL YEAR** 

NEW  NOVEMBER DEADLINE                         NEW  NOVEMBER DEADLINE                     NEW NOVEMBER DEADLINE                        

The Knoxville Regional Catholic Schools Operating Fund is gearing up for the 2019-2020 tuition support application process. The application process will be open and available online beginning Monday, October 1, 2018, with a ending deadline of Friday, November 30, 2018.  More information on this process with links to English and Spanish applications will be coming soon.

Athletics –

Girls Soccer- Thursday, Sept 20th – at Carter HS Varsity only 6pm

Volleyball:

• Wednesday, Sept 19th – Home vs. Hardin Valley 4:30pm JV, 5:30pm JV, and 6:30pm Varsity
  • Thursday, Sept 18th – at Carter 5pm JV and 6pm Varsity
  • Saturday, Sept 22nd – JV Gold Tournament at Alcoa 9am

Golf- Tuesday, Sept. 18th Lady Irish and Irish Teams – Region Golf Tournament at Three Ridges Golf Course: All Day

Cross Country- Saturday, Sept 22nd – Bristol Cross

Football-  Friday, Sept 21st  – at Brentwood Academy 7:30pm Central/8:30pm Eastern

Other Dates of Interest –

• Thurs, Sep 27 – All School Mass 10:55 a.m.
  • Friday, Sep 28 – Diocesan In-service (NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS)
  • Tues, Oct 2 – Band Concert in Commons 6:30
  • Friday, Oct 5 – End of Quarter 1

Hope you have a great week!

God bless,

Dickie Sompayrac

Morning Prayer & Announcements 9/18/18

Morning Prayer

Announcements

• Birthday wishes go out to: Elyse Bryan, Taylor Layman
  • All Latin students should report to the Parrish Hall at the start of lunch today, Tuesday, for the Junior Classical League induction ceremony.
  • Students, please check your school email for overdue notices from the library and respond promptly.  Thanks for your help!
  • Any student or faculty member interested in being trained as an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, please attend a training today at 12:15 in the Holy Trinity Chapel.  If you are unable to attend, please see or email Mrs. Chady sometime this week.
  • Coastal Carolina University will be on campus Wednesday, September 19, for a private college visit.  College visits are open to all grades.  If you are interested in learning more about Coastal Carolina, sign up on Naviance or in the Nancy Swain Watters Guidance Suite.
  • The Irish cross-country team had a great weekend of racing at the Trinity Valkyrie Invitational in Kentucky. Spencer Stovall finished 4th in the freshman race, and Jake Renfree was the seeded race champion. Great job  Irish Cross country!
  • Interested in attending the March for Life this year? Please attend a mandatory interest meeting on Wednesday during the second half of lunch. We will start promptly at 12:15 in B105.
  • Irish-Thon will have their second meeting at 12:15 during lunch in Mrs. Slough’s room this Wednesday, September 19th regarding important updates and announcements. All are welcome even if you missed the first one!
  • Join us on September 19th for our second Scooby Doo Meeting in C19 during lunch. Bring your food and join us for some movies and games!

Morning Prayer & Announcements 9/17/18

Morning Prayer

Announcements

• Birthday wishes go out to: Madeline Cuccia, Sophia Haluski, Davis Clem
  • The Magnanimous Manly Minstrels will meet today at 11:50 in B202. You are welcome to bring your lunch!
  • Students interested in traveling to Ireland, Scotland, England, and Wales with Mrs. Mynatt this June should attend an informational meeting on Tuesday, 9/18 at 3:45 in room B102. If interested but unable to attend, please email or see Mrs. Mynatt. A separate meeting for enrolled travelers will be held later this month. 
  • Students and staff: please check your email today for information regarding sign-ups for the St. Jude Walk/Run at the Knoxville zoo this weekend.
  • Freshman, Sophomores, Juniors who missed photo day, or would like to have retakes need to sign up with Mrs. Phillips in the Library at break before 9/19.  Retakes will take place in the gym on September 20th during A block.
  • Attention Spanish Honor Society members: There will be a brief meeting in B103 at 12:15 on Friday, Sept. 21 to elect this year’s officers.
  • Spirit Week cleanup will begin today. Aside from the four class murals hanging in the Fine Arts Hallway, which will remain hanging, all decorations must begin to be taken down today. Students who wish to save and take home part of their hallway decoration have until the end of break to do so. All trash and paper must be taken directly out to the big recycle bin or trash dumpsters; do not use the trash cans or recycling bins in the school. Please break down all boxes and push the paper down as much as possible to maximize space. Once these are full, please stop for the day so they can be emptied. Make sure all tape and tape residue is removed from the building as well. For those classes who did construction projects, these must be broken down and all components removed no later than Wednesday.

Morning Prayer & Announcements 9/13/18

Morning Prayer

Today we celebrate the Memorial of Saint John Chrysostom, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

Saint John Chrysostom, pray for us.

In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Announcements

• Birthday wishes go out to: Our President, Mr. Sompayrac, Rece Harpst, James Valderrama, Anna Kasemir
  • Come out to the Homecoming dance after the game on Friday night.  The cost is $5 at the door.  The two main entrances into the commons will be available.  There will be some snacks and water provided so come on out and enjoy a good time! The dance will conclude at midnight.
  • The lady Irish volleyball teams have been in action the last two nights. On Tuesday JV defeated Alcoa in straight sets and varsity won in straight sets as well. Then last night all three teams played at Farragut. JV green and JV gold both competed well but lost. Varsity won in a very tight 4 set battle closing it out 25-12 in the last set.
  • Students interested in traveling to Ireland, Scotland, England, and Wales with Mrs. Mynatt this June should attend an informational meeting on Tuesday, 9/18 at 3:45 in room B102. If interested but unable to attend, please email or see Mrs. Mynatt. A separate meeting for enrolled travelers will be held later this month. 
  • All Student Council members should report to Ms. Williams in her room at the beginning of break today.
  • The school will be open until 9 pm for Halls and Walls tonight. Following the completion of Halls and Walls, there will be a brief prayer service that begins in the commons and processes through all four class halls. Please join us for this special event.
  • Tomorrow is Green and Gold day. Each article of non-uniform clothing should be at least 50% green or gold/yellow. As a reminder, if you wear shorts that are not at least 50% green or 50% gold/yellow, you will not be counted for your class competition. Also, ladies who wear shorts shorter than fingertip length without tights/leggings under them will not be counted for class competition. Tights/leggings can be any color.